Thursday, April 28, 2016

Sudden and acute back pain kinda ruined my day

You know what is not a good idea? What I did this morning.
When I woke up I was excited about my day, so I didn't feel tired at all, even though it was only 7 am and I didn't get a really good night sleep. I got out of bed, and feeling a little cold I decided to do a few slow deep squats to warm up my muscles. Then I walked toward the bathroom to take a shower, which is usually the first thing I do every morning, but after a few steps I dropped to the floor instead and did 20 push ups. I felt pumped, so I picked up the dumbbell and started counting 1, 2, 3, 4… and so on. I realized I actually had a lot of time before Peter the cameraman would have come to film me at 8am… So I thought I could squeeze in a quick workout before my shower. 20 minutes later, I stopped the workout and jumped in the shower. 
My day continued pretty regularly. Ok, it was actually a very particular and unique morning, but I had no issues related to the workout… Until 2:30pm. I was sitting down reading stuff on my laptop after finishing my lunch, when I realized that my back muscles were spasming. I literally could not move my back without feeling pain! I walked very stiffly to the Health Center, where they told me they couldn't help me but I could call in tomorrow morning at 8am to make an appointment… Useless. 
I took some ibuprofen and I walked away; walking was painful so I laid down on the grass outside the cafeteria and fell asleep. When I woke up, I still felt back pain, so I was tempted to go straight home or to a doctor. However, I skipped last week’s meeting with the leadership of the Economic Club of Santa Barbara, and I didn't feel like skipping  again. So I went. As it turns out, we are organizing another event, for the third week in a row. 
This event, differently from the other two won’t be on American Inequality; instead, this event will be an opportunity to discuss important issues related to the future of our country. Congressional candidate Justin Fareed will come out to talk about education, equal opportunity, unemployment in the economy, and the other issues our generation is faced with. Justin is running for Congress to reform the institution, to get it working again for the American people, and to solve long-range issues that affect this and future generations. He believes that Congress needs to be held accountable instead of kicking the can down the road to the next generation. As usual, food and refreshments will be provided during the event. According to some internal source, we’re gonna serve Cotsco wraps, which are really good! :)
The event will be held at Santa Barbara City College, in Room: PS 101, on May 4th (Wednesday) 5:30pm. As always, you're all invited to participate or just come check it out!
But let’s get back to my story… I felt so bad about my back! I decided to skip my class (which runs from 6 pm to 9 pm) and I went home instead. On the way home, I stopped at Albertsson’s to grab Icy&Hot patches and an electrolytes drink, and since I was right there I grabbed two slices of pizza from Cotsco! By that time, I had ingested 400mg of ibuprofen already, so my back was feeling better. 
I talked to my insurance and chiropractors are covered up to $50 a visit, and only up to 3 visits per year… Hopefully tomorrow morning I will feel better. I was just very upset about my back suddenly hurting like that, because there was apparently no reason… Then I realized that this morning’s intense workout with no warm up and no cool down may have been a reason. Also, I had an intense work out yesterday, too. I probably need to take it easy on my workouts! Tonight I will stay in and rest. Tomorrow is a big day! I will find out about UC Berkeley’s admission decision!
WISH ME GOOD LUCK!
A presto,

- Fede

1 comment:

  1. I would absolutely agree that your back pain was the result of fatigue and no recovery time. Isn't it sad that with the new insurance system, we have to think more about budgeting than living without pain. I've had this type of spontaneous back pain too. It usually happens when I wake up late, rush to get the kids out of the door, and tax my muscles when my body is still half asleep. I'm glad you recovered. By the way, from your back-patch selfie, it's very clear your workout regimen is really working.

    ReplyDelete