Sunday, April 17, 2016

A busy week coming my way

A very busy week is approaching!
Tomorrow I will be at school at 7:42am, the earliest I have ever been. I have never attended an 8am class before (thank Lord) and in all honesty I was not planning on it. Living in IV and not owning a car, I either get to school by bus or I carpool with friends. Unfortunately, finding friends to carpool with at 7:30 am is a challenge I don’t even want to try… So— according to Google Maps— I will have to leave my house at 7:01am in order to catch the bus to school… Fabulous!
Oh yeah, you might be wondering why do I need to be at school that early! The reason is that the Political Science / Economics department at SBCC is looking to hire a new Economics professor to teach at SBCC. Political Science professor Andrea Haupt has contacted the leaders of the Economic Club of Santa Barbara to ask we participate in the process. As we were informed, the Poli Sci/Econ department has invited a number candidates for the position of Economics professor. Each of these job candidates is teaching a class this week. Two of these classes are Prof. Barr's 8:00 am classes on Monday, April 18, and Wednesday, April 20 (in IDC 215). As these early classes are held at, let's say, not the most popular times, Prof. Haput asked for our help to try and make sure these lectures are well attended. (For example, there will be a Q&A session and it is critical that active and informed students are present). Prof. Haupt is willing to offer extra credit for attendance to students who are enrolled in one of her classes, however she also pointed out that this is a very important matter, and whoever kindly takes the time to attend should know that they would be serving the department and future SBCC students well. As she added on a final note, it is also a privilege to be ask to partake in the hiring process, which is why all the leaders of the Economics club are gladly going to accept the invite. We would also like to extend this invite to any other interested student at SBCC.
After attending the 8am lecture, I will go to my Physical Geography Lab class, and we’ll probably discuss our field trip at the Water Treatment Plant, an experience that I am sure the most of us (students) just want to forget and leave behind! 
I am going to spend the rest of the afternoon (as well as the rest of of every afternoon during that week, as well as right now as I type) at the UCSB library, to prepare for midterms in all of my classes, all together in the same week! (how nice)
Even Wednesday, which is usually the day when I get to relax a little and catch up on homework, will be a very busy day this week! 11am to 2pm, two events will be going on on campus. 
One is the Summer and General Job & Internship Fair, which will take place at the Friendship Plaza outside the cafeteria. I have decided that this Summer I will not travel back to Europe, because I want to find a summer job or internship here in the United States and then move to whatever city I will transfer to. 
The second event is the SBCC Gradfest, which celebrates SBCC students about to graduate with special graduation package deals, grad cap decorating, alumni gift giveaways, music, and grad image professional photography. Since I am going to graduate next month, and since my parents are flying over to Santa Barbara to come see me, I believe I probably will want to attend this event, too. 
Most importantly, 3:30 to 5:00pm the Economics Club of Santa Barbara will host another event (you can check the Facebook event page by clicking here), in the classroom PS-101. This event will be about American inequality, with UCSB and SBCC Economics Professor Dr. Cynthia Benelli as our speaker and special guest. The lecture will feature some of the defining challenges to the American dream and to the American people. Social mobility is decreasing, and the corporate fatcats are getting fatter and fatter. So, we believe it's time we had a talk about it. 
Feel free to invite your friends and join us in a profound discussion on the inequality that distresses our society in so many ways; we all hope to see you there.
A presto,

- Fede

No comments:

Post a Comment