Monday, April 25, 2016

Having a great time!

Job & Internship Fair on Wednesday
So last week was very hard, with a presentation on Tuesday, several events on Wednesday, and two midterms on Thursday. With the help of much caffeine, I was able to handle it all, and I believe I did a good job in my exams. 
The International Day event organized by the Ambassadors was fun and pretty. The patio outside the cafeteria was decorated with many colorful flags from different countries, my friend Vasu was playing his great chill-out music like always (he is a DJ), and we had free food available for our guests. I tried some Korean BBQ and some Turkish sweets and I was impressed. They both were delicious! 
International Day! on Wednesday
Later that day, I stayed up studying at the UCSB library until 3am to prepare for my midterms. To do that, I drank a Rockstar Energy Drink, and after finding out that energy drinks contain less caffeine than coffee, I was all disappointed and I bought a small coffee, too. That was not such a good idea! I wasn't able to fall asleep until 4am… So I got about 3 and a half hours of sleep, but surprisingly I woke up feeling rested. 
I know staying up late at night is not healthy, but sometimes it is necessary. In fact, I think I did a pretty good job in both my Philosophy and my Macroeconomics exams, and I was proud of myself. 
So it was a good week after all. What was even better was the weekend…
On Friday I found out I have been accepted into the Business Economics Program at UCLA. I am extremely happy, but I want to keep it kind of low key until next Friday, when I will hear from the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley. I wish they would just release their decision on the same day, so I would know how to feel… Very said, very happy, or half happy half not. But now I am just very happy about UCLA but extremely curious about UC Berkeley! Oh well, I will find out soon. 
Beautiful Santa Barbara
Later on Friday I went to the UCSB soccer fields with some friends, and we played against another team. One thing I noticed was that there were two girls in the other team and they were really good. In the country I am from, most girls do not like soccer at all. In Italy I played soccer for eight years as I grew up, and in that time span I have only seen one girl wearing a soccer jersey on the field. I know that in the United States girls are way more into sports, and I thought it was very cool that we were all playing together. I think that’s how it should be!
On Saturday morning I participated in the Ambassadors-sponsored SBCC semi-annual soccer tournament, and although out team lost, I had a lot of fun. We didn't expect to win anyway, as we are not actual soccer players and we mostly play for fun. Some of the team were very good, including the SBCC soccer team, which participated in the tournament. 
My friend and I
After this event, I stayed with Lorenzo and Gianluca, two Italian friends of mine who played in the soccer tournament in the same team as me. We went to their house and we cooked a delicious pasta with salmon and whip cream / cream cheese. I thought that was very Italian of us— and I really enjoyed it. 
Then I went home to my roommate Mikey and we spent the afternoon at a fun party with some other friends and a bunch of other people. If you are a prospective student of SBCC (or if you are a current student) you should know that Santa Barbara and Isla Vista offer many opportunities to have fun and enjoy your college experience. The community is in fact well known for its beautiful landscapes, for its friendly and young population, and for the abundance of parties in the weekend.
Best way to start the week!
Sunday is usually homework-intense. However, after taking all my midterms last week, this Sunday I didn't have a lot of homework, so I had some time to rest. I went to the library around 6pm, and stayed there until 10, when my friend Alyssa came pick me up and we went to In n’ Out for a burger, and we enjoyed our midnight snack in front of our favorite Netflix show, How To Get Away With Murder. 
Now I am ready for a new, challenging week. The semester is almost over, so I want to make the best out of these few remaining weeks. 
A presto, 

- Fede

No comments:

Post a Comment