Thursday, April 7, 2016

Cal Haas Interview.

About a week ago I received an email from UC Berkeley Haas School of Business, probably my #1 transfer university choice. The email said that I had been selected for a virtual interview. 

Usually, the self-reported academic record, resume, essays and additional comments given as part of the written application are enough to give the Admissions Committee the full picture of a student's experience and aspirations. However in some cases, questions may arise during the application review process that are not addressed in the written application and warrant an interview. Basically, the addition of interviews enhances Haas Admissions’ comprehensive review process. Students who are invited for interviews are usually applicants who demonstrated strength in one aspect of the application and weakness in others or applicants who are on the cusp of being admitted or denied. In other words, if you are selected for an interview, you know that you have a real shot to get in, because you are among those 150 students who are very competitive, out of the 1800+ that apply every year, but only 90 will make it in.
I scheduled my interview for Wednesday at 4:30pm. I reserved a Study Group Room at the UCSB Library, taking advantage of the fact that UCSB students are currently on Spring Break and therefore nobody is really around. I sat in there for hours, reading about the school and reading over my application, but I wasn't too worried. That is something about me, that until it actually is the critical moment, I do not stress out at all. 
I realize there are important moments that should get me worried, but until it’s the time, I don't think about the importance of these moments, and I don't really feel stressed... Even the day before I left Italy to come study in the United States, I wasn't feeling like it. I just felt like I was gonna take a plane to go spend the weekend in Rome and come back a few days later. It wasn't until it was actually the time to say goodbye to friends and family that I really started to feel the pressure and realizing what was happening to me…
But let’s get back to this Wednesday…: interview. 
Around 3:30pm I started feeling the pressure. I just wanted it to happen. Then it finally  was 4:30. I opened Skype, took a deep breath, and clicked on the little camera icon, next to that “Haas Undergraduate Admissions” contact card.
After just two “beeps” Richard picked up my video call. I could not stop smiling, but I thought smiling never hurts, so I didn't try to stop. I was so happy to finally be in front of my destiny, and extremely glad Richard was a friendly and happy interviewer. He greeted me with a big smile and he introduced himself. He told me that he was an alum of Haas, serving as a volunteer, and he did not read over my application, then he asked me to introduce myself and to tell him why do I want to go to Haas.
Then, it was my turn. 
I told him how happy I was to meet him, and that I had been looking forward to that moment. I explained I am an international student from Italy, and that I want to go to Haas to build the strongest foundation for my future and reach for the American dream. He seemed to like the answer. 
His next questions included:
  • What are you passionate about?
  • What is something that you are involved in right now, that is very important to you?
  • Tell me about a time when you received negative feedback, and what was your response?
  • Tell me about how you impact your community.
  • Define Leadership. What does being a leader mean to you?
This was my favorite one. I took 10-15 seconds, in complete silence, to think about his question. Then I said: “okay.” And he smiled. Then I started: “I believe there is a difference between being a leader, and being a great leader. A leader is somebody who is able to gather a team of people, motivate them to work toward a common goal, and achieve it through an effective management of resources, and by handing out tasks and responsibilities. A great leader, on the other hand, is the one who is able to empower the members of his or her team, and turn those followers into leaders themselves. He will be on the same level as his teammates, and will understand that even he can learn from every one of his teammates; in fact I believe that the best leader is also the best follower, because he will be able to learn and understand what the team really needs in order to work at its best potential and achieve ambitious goals;” then I explained to him what experiences taught me what I had just told him. To use Richards word, this answer was fantastic! I was happy with my answer and I was very excited. 
At the end of the interview, we had a chance to chat a little about his experience and the business that he has launched. Overall, I think it was a successful interview and I hope so with all my heart! In 36 days, I will know whether that 23 minute interview go me into Haas, in which case I would be starting a new life up in the Bay Area. How exciting!!
Wish me good luck! :)
A presto, 

-Fede

No comments:

Post a Comment