Friday, March 4, 2016

Tragedy: Damaged my laptop!

You won’t believe what happened last week. After the Ambassadors meeting, which  is ever Friday from 1 to 2 PM, I got on the bus to Isla Vista to go back home, like every other Friday… I set my backpack down on a seat, and talked to my friend Omar during the bus ride. About 30 minutes later, when we arrived to our bus stop, I grabbed my backpack, and as I was getting off the bus I felt water drops wetting the back of my leg. 

OMG.

I got off the bus, I set the backpack on the floor, and I opened it to discover its interior was filled with one or two inches of water— my water bottle laying down and looking at me with its mouth open. OK so you got your notes and pens wet, not that big of a deal… True. 

However... my MacBook Air was not enjoying the bath.

The Blue Chamber of Death
As fast as I could, I pulled my laptop out of the blue chamber of death and helplessly watched my innocent piece of technology as it was bleeding water, hoping it wouldn't die in my hands. I opened it up, and I was surprised noticing that it turned on just fine. In the meantime, my friend Omar pulled everything out of my backpack and dumped out the water. Quickly, I turned off my laptop and walked home. I set the laptop in some rice, and let it rest until the next morning. 

On Saturday, I woke up early and took my laptop to the Apple Store first thing in the morning. Once I turned it on, I immediately realized that about 20% of the screen is ruined, as well as the USB port on the left. Miraculously, the laptop could still charge, however the Apple technician who was helping me informed me that there was a possibility that my dear MacBook Air might have died in a couple of days or so, as the water will eventually reach the logic board, penetrating its metallic body and killing its cells, like cancer. 

He recommended I save a backup of my laptop on an external hard drive and come back. So I did, but when I went back on Monday they could only schedule an appointment for Friday, which is today. As I type, I am currently on the bus waiting to consume my appointment at the Apple Store. There, they are going to open up my device, and I am going to find out if my laptop can be fixed. If it can’t be easily fixed, then I will have to decide if I want to spend $700 to get it sent to the factory and be fixed or substituted, or if I prefer to keep using it with the few problems it has… and wait until it dies. I really don’t want to ask my parents for that much money, but my dad told me he might know someone who could fix it for cheaper (back in Italy). Right now, I am just hoping that my laptop won’t leave me suddenly and unexpectedly, although I kind of get the feeling that if it was able to survive for one week, it will probably not leave me anymore. I don’t mean to jinx it, but I have a feeling all the water should be completely dried out by now!


If you read this and know of a cheaper solution than send my MacBook Air to Apple’s factory for $700, please don't hesitate to let me know! Thank you :)

A presto

- Fede

No comments:

Post a Comment