Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Field Trip to Rattlesnake Canyon

After months of sunny weather, the beginning of the week was very foggy. On Monday morning I woke up early, got on my bike, and started the day with some coffee from Starbucks. I never drink coffee in the morning, but on Monday I wanted to workout before class, so I needed a little boost!

At 9:30am— like every Monday morning, I have class. This week my classmates of Physical Geography Lab (ERTH 141L) class and I went on our second field trip. I really enjoy going on field trips, because on top of studying the local geology and topography, I get to hang out in the sun and visit beautiful places; I get to discover the Santa Barbara area, which is something I have been wanting to do for a while, but never actually took the time to do. 








Last Monday’s field trip was to Rattlesnake Canyon, not far from the Santa Barbara Mission. This was a hike, and thank goodness I remembered about it, differently from the last time we had a field trip, so I came prepared— a water bottle handy, running shoes, and comfortable, light clothes. If I wore long pants and loafers to this field trip it would definitely have been a messy problem!

The hike was pretty steep and some less athletic classmates struggled with it. About half way up, one girl commented: “Heck, it’s the first time I break a sweat since the new year!,” which I thought was really funny.

As the morning progressed, the weather got pretty hot, especially with the sky being completely clear and the sun beating on our heads. The scenery was beautiful and suggestive, with the whole ocean and the coast being covered by low clouds (fog) and us being on top of them, thus enjoying the clear sky. 


40 million years old rock.

Rock looks like a smiling frog! (Has mouth and eyes :)










On our trip, we got to see a few interesting rocks, such as one that really looked like a freaking happy frog, and another one with oyster fossils dating FOURTY MILLION YEARS back! Pretty impressive! 

During the field trip, my partner Sarah talked to me about her vegan diet, so when I got back to city college I decided to go for a legal lunch. Although vegan diet is very healthy, it’s not for me. It does not fill me up enough, thus resulting in spending more money and getting less satisfaction, since I LOVE dairy, meat, and eggs! I just wanted some recognition for my effort, at least I tried. :)


A presto

- Fede

No comments:

Post a Comment