Monday, February 1, 2016

When normal is awesome.

I already had a chance to mention how I spent Winter Break in my first post of the semester. This blog post is really a note to myself that I wrote on December 16, 2015, the day of my departure to Washington State. I would like to share it because I think it’s significant in explaining one of the reasons I am so glad to be here.

--

I am currently at Santa Barbara Airport, waiting for my flight to Seattle, WA. This Christmas Break, I am going to visit my host family from when I was a foreign exchange student during my senior year in high school. They are such lovely people, that they took me as part of their family, and here I am one and a half years later literally thrilled at the idea of spending Christmas with them. My host family in Washington State— and my experience as an exchange student in general— is the main reason why today I am an international student at Santa Barbara City College. They made me fall in love with the United States of America, especially with the relaxed way people face problems here in the West Coast. 

As proof of that, here I am currently sitting in front of several people whose flight is delayed. It should have left at 10:34 am, but when I got here (around 11 o’clock) their flight was delayed one and a half hours to midday. Now it’s midday and the screen reads “Expected departure: 1:04pm…” This lady in front of me is going to miss her connection, then her bus that she had already reserved, and her plans for the night with whoever she was going to meet are ruined. I know that’s none of my business, but she sits right in front of me and I couldn't help overhearing. She attempted calling a few times but the person at the other end would not pick up, so this lady had to leave a message explaining the situation, and expressing her wish that the other person picked up the phone. “What is so extraordinary about this??” you might ask if you’re from California… Well, this lady didn't freak out! I mean, she didn't even get close. She didn't look bothered at all. Back in Italy, where I am from, people would be mad, they would be snorting and probably cussing— at least in their minds. They would be agitated and impatient. But not here. Every time there is a problem, such as a delay on a flight, people react calmly in California. They just accept it, see if there’s anything they can do to improve the situation, and if not, they just go with it. After all, getting mad is only going to ruin your mood, but won’t solve the situation. So no matter how stressful the situation may be, here I assist to people of all ages calmly picking up their cellphones, and calling their bosses, families, and friends to let them know the flight is delayed; then they turn their attention to a book, their cellphone, or they simply shut their eyes and keep waiting patiently.


Being around such positive people, who are friendly by nature and relaxed by character, has contributed to shape me in the person I am today, and fuels my love for my adventure in the States day after day.

No comments:

Post a Comment