Friday, September 25, 2015

An Intense Friday

What a busy day!

SBCC Honors Program Logo
Today I woke up early, got on my bike, and went to get a haircut. Why does this matter? Because it’s Friday! Come on, who wants to wake up early on Friday? However, this is also part of the life of a busy college student. After making my head way more aerodynamic, I biked home super fast, took a shower, and then asked my housemate Nate to give me a ride to school, because I couldn't carry my suit on my bike without messing it all up…

I had a meeting with the leadership of the Honors Program, and we discussed interesting upcoming events
(check out our Facebook page!!).

After that, I ran to the Captains meeting together with other two Student Ambassadors. Why? Because tomorrow (Saturday) it’s the official semi-annual SBCC Beach Volleyball Tournament, brought to you by the Student Ambassadors Program and the International Student Support Program! You definitely should come check it out at West Beach and make some new friends! There will be many spectators, too!
Are you still wondering why did I need to bring my suit to school?

Phi Theta Kappa Shirts
Well, I am getting there! After Captains Meeting, followed by the Ambassadors meeting, I put on my Phi Theta Kappa shirt and started setting up for the PTK Induction Ceremony. Phi Theta Kappa is the National Honors Society for 2-year colleges. You must have a 3.5 GPA to become a member, and if you do, I highly recommend applying! Wanna know one of the many benefits? $37 MILLION in scholarship baby, get ready to fill out some online forms! Hey, it’s free money, right? In addition, you get recognition on your transcript, and swag regalia at graduation! ;)

This semester, SBCC Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, Beta Gamma Upsilon, broke a new record: over 160 new members, testifying for the high achievements of our amazing school (#1)!!

Example of Deliciousness

The Induction Ceremony began at 5:00pm sharp. And just like the time, the people looked pretty sharp, too. PTK acceptance is a big deal! Business attire is required. After enjoying all the delicious free food, the new members pledged allegiance to the Society and were inducted.


As the Vice President of Leadership of Phi Theta Kappa, I have to say it is an honor and a privilege to be part of a team of like-minded individuals, a great way to build long-lasting relationships— just in case you were interested in applying. So that is what the suit served for! I had to stand in front of over 160 students and many many parents! ;)

Definitely not the average Friday. I got home at 9:00pm and I was pretty tired… But experiences like this fill my college experience with meaning and true satisfaction. If you see what I mean, give it a thought. Apply to become part of one of the many wonderful Academic Programs Santa Barbara City College has to offer.


Phi Theta Kappa - Beta Gamma Upsilon Leadership
     A presto,

     Fede.

No comments:

Post a Comment