Sunday, May 8, 2016

Last Saturday as an SBCC student

This is one of my last weekends in Santa Barbara, and certainly the last weekend at SBCC. Next week is Finals Week, Friday is commencement, and then we’re done. 
Have you gotten your haircut yet? If you're like me, your hair looks the best about one or two weeks after it’s been cut. I feel like the hair is one very important component of a person’s look, so I try to take care of it; that’s why I always go to the same barber, even though it’s a little more expensive and way further away than some other barbers nearby. In fact, The Palms Barber Shop is located in upper State Street, so the only bus that goes there is the line 11, which takes about 1 hour from Isla Vista. I have been loyal to The Palms for two years, and the first time I went there was in May 2014, when I was visiting California with my parents. So let me say I highly recommend this barber shop, especially Erin (the hair styler at The Palms who always cut my hair).
I already was in the downtown area, and I knew I could bike to the Transit Center faster than waiting for a bus and riding it (I always bring my bike with me, even when I use the bus). My plan was to take a bus from the transit center to SBCC and spend some time in the library, however as I approached Anapamu Street, I thought about paying a visit to my old housemates. Greta and Nathan are my two best friends from that house, and I was lucky enough that they both were home. Nate has been my best friend for a year and a half, and it was great to see him. He also was very happy for the surprise, and we went out for Donuts (YOLO). We hung out at the house for a while, and then he gave me some mail that was sent to that address… Specifically, UCLA and UC Berkeley Admission Letters and Welcome packages. That, together with some prior thinking, motivated me to finally submit my intent to register at UC Berkeley, so I am now a prospect Haas Golden Bear!
As 5 o’ clock approached, I was ready to tackle the last task on my list, which was… going to a beach party to film the SBCC Virtual Tour. This was the last time we filmed together before the film team will work on the editing and creation of 12 short videoclips about SBCC and the things students can do while living in Santa Barbara. Obviously we needed a videoclip about the beach, so this Saturday Peter and the rest of the crew has bought some pizza and invited people over. He had us play soccer on the grass next to the beach, talk to each other, drink some soda, and so on…
Play a sort of baseball game on the sand, walk along the water, and even go inside the water with our feet. There was a big canoe (or little boat?) there, and we kind of borrowed it for a second, pretending like we were going to use it. Peter asked us to push it into the water and then to take it back out. By the time we took it out of the water, two guys had run over to us to ask us what we were doing with their canoe… Oops! My friend tried to lie and say it was a little dirty and we wanted to wash it, which I thought was hilarious! I explained the real situation and they said it was ok; then they took the canoe away with them… 
At the end of the day, we took some shots of my friend Brooke playing the ukulele, and some shots of us just sitting on the sand and talking about the future. The camera doesn't record any sounds, but Peter always asks us to talk about specific topics because it sets the mood that he wants to record…
Overall, it was a fun day and I had a great time recording the SBCC Virtual Tour videos this past couple weeks. I cannot wait to see the final videos!
A presto,

- Fede

No comments:

Post a Comment