Monday, March 7, 2016

The Value of Philosophy (PART 3/3)

This is the third and last of a 3-parts article. The first part focused on a few things I have learned from my PHIL 100 class, namely the thinking of two philosophers, Clifford and Russell. In the second part of this article I continued my reasoning by analyzing intrinsic value and using some examples for clarity; and in the third and last part I am going to discuss how to best enjoy your life, as explained my my Philosophy professor.

--

...People get caught in what they are doing and they forget to enjoy it. This is why people say “Thank God it’s Friday!”, so they can finally be themselves. They spend five days working SO THAT they can spend two days relaxing, having fun, and enjoying their time. And students study hard during the week SO THAT they can have fun in the weekend. But why is that? Why can’t we have both at the same time? Can you find the intrinsic value in working? In studying? In the end— I think— whatever adds value to my life contributes to my happiness, and isn't happiness what every human being ultimately strives for? But what is happiness? Is it love, is it success, is it money?...


Well, money is just a means to buy other things that eventually may make you happy down the line. 

For example, let’s say pancakes make me happy. Hopefully they make you happy too. We said that happiness is the end, so let’s consider how do we get there. You are a college student; so, why do you go to class? Do you go to class just so that you can pass the course so that you can transfer to university so that you can get a degree so that you can find a job so that you can earn some money so that one day you can buy a house so that you can have a kitchen so that you can make yourself some pancakes on Sunday morning so that you can be happy? Everything is just a means, but where is the intrinsic value? Being able to recognize the extrinsic value of what you do AS WELL AS the value added by the activity itself, is truly going to make your life better. 

If you're just going to school for the above reasons, you're only enjoying part of your days, day after day. You are too busy chasing that ultimate happiness that you don't even realize that each of those steps is charged with intrinsic value that can make you really happy. When you forget to enjoy the process you end up neglecting how many (hundreds, thousands?) beautiful things happen to you every day. 

How about the fact that you are learning, growing up, and building a strong foundation for your future? How about the fact that you have many opportunities, many friends, that it’s sunny outside, and that you have food provided at school? How about the fact that you are free, that you can walk, that you can laugh. We tend to take all these things for granted, but when you realize how fortunate you are for having them, you become more grateful, more aware, and more happy. 

For example, for me, every single meal is a reason of great happiness. Food for me is never just a means to fill up my stomach so I have energy and so I don't starve to death. Eating is an experience, one that I am lucky to have every single day. Eating makes me feel happy because the food tastes good; it is hard to describe, but I recognize the intrinsic value of eating in that it makes me happy! Here’s another example. I don't have a car. For a year and a half, I biked to school every morning, and back home every night/afternoon. For me, the ride to school was never just a means to get me to class. I enjoyed it. I was biking in the sun, by the ocean, in Santa Barbara, CA, looking around and appreciating the beautiful day. Biking also forced me to stay active, which makes me happy in itself because being fit makes me feel good about myself and because I actually enjoy the sensation I get from a workout. I would not have used a car to go to school even if I had it— which is the reason why I don't own one in the first place. If you disagree, and you drive a car to school, and could never bike to school every day, then hey! There is your intrinsic value: be happy because you don't have to bike! 

In other words, every single day so many great things happen and we take them for granted. Instead, recognizing that they have intrinsic value as an end themselves, can greatly improve our lives. Introduction to Philosophy is a great class because it makes me think about these things, it makes me realize how happy I am, it makes me enjoy my life a lot. It guides me through a process of questioning and thinking that I can apply outside of life to anything that happens around me. It makes me understand the functioning of other people and the world and it ultimately makes me a better person. I suggest you give it a shot!

A presto,


- Fede

No comments:

Post a Comment