Friday, March 18, 2016

Stressing out on them transfer app! ;)

It is true that when you're having fun time goes by so fast! It seems just the other day that I was looking for a new house in Isla Vista before the semester started, and now we’re already approaching Spring Break! I didn't even realize it, but we are at one of those semester spikes, where homework, extracurriculars, and life all happen at the same time to bring you down, but you've gotta be strong and show what you're worth! 

So this spike found me a little unprepared, and I have been busy trying to catch up.

The good (or bad?) news is that UC Berkeley Haas School of Business sent me an email yesterday inviting me to a virtual interview. Interviews are necessary for borderline candidates to add additional detail that is critical for admissions to make a final decision. On one hand, it is bad news because it means my application wasn't strong enough to get me in. But on the other hand, at least it has not been discarded! I reserved my Skype interview on Wednesday, and I am so excited. I’ll let you know how it went. 

First things first, I have been procrastinating on my college applications for transfer (ATTENTION: HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED). Throughout January and February I kept thinking “March 15 is sooo far ahead, I’ll have time.” 

Then, on February 29, I realized that three of the schools I wanted to apply to (Harvard, Yale, and Columbia) had an earlier deadline: March 1st. Without any letter of recommendation or a chance to get them in 24 hours, I had to give on applying to these schools. I thought to myself that I wouldn't have gotten in anyway, but truly it was just a way to psychologically trick my mind and hide the fact that I was actually upset and disappointed to myself. 

So I started working on getting letters of recommendation, sending transcripts, additional forms, and high school final reports (which all has to happen my mail, not online) and then I started filling out those CommonApp essays and questions. 

Juggling midterms, work, and events planning, I found myself short of time once again around March 10, so I spent all last weekend— literally, all of it— thinking about “what matters to me” and “what are my future plans…” I was able to submit my application to Cornell and Duke, but not to Stanford University, which was another disappointment. I thought I had plenty of time to work on my transfer applications, but the rigor and depth of the essay prompts found me unprepared. Although I worked on it for over 15 hours, I couldn't finish the Stanford app in time to submit it by midnight. In fact, I strongly recommend you take plenty of time to think about the prompts and write your essays. As you will realize if you apply to transfer, some prompts may be harder than you expect. In a future post, I would like to discuss some of them. 

Anyway I have learned my lesson and I am definitely not going to wait until last minute to apply to New York University. In fact, its deadline is a tricky one: April 1st. Considering I am leaving for Spring Break on March 24, I need to get my act together and work on it this week! 


Wish me good luck!

A presto,


- Fede

No comments:

Post a Comment