Monday, November 9, 2015

Saturday at Habitat for Humanity

Obviously, I did not feel any better on Saturday morning.

As I explained in my last post, I got sick on Friday. Supposedly, eating well, drinking tea, and sleeping early should help recover; but in the morning, I woke up feeling worse, if anything.

However, I knew I signed up to volunteer with my PTK team that morning, so I gulped down some more pills, put on my Phi Theta Kappa t-shirt and headed off to the volunteering event. Almost every Saturday morning (and many other weekdays) Phi Theta Kappa holds volunteering or academic events.

Last Wednesday we hosted a vibrant debate at Santa Barbara City College between the Philosophy professors Joe White and Mark McIntire, trying to answer the captivating question: “Does The American Dream Still Exist?” On Thursday, PTK co-adviser Dr. Eisentraut gave an interesting lecture on “New Developments in the Search for Human Origins.” These are some examples of Phi Theta Kappa academic events.

#PTKcares!!!
This past Saturday, our Leadership team— together with some hard-working members— volunteered on a project called “A Brush With Kindness,” which is Habitat for Humanity’s Home Repair Program. Starting at 8:30 in the morning, we showed up on the site of a house in the process of being repaired, and we spent the morning scraping, painting, and fixing the roof. Considering I was sick, working was pretty hard, but the medicine definitely helped me to go at it firmly and to keep my smile on. I love spending time with my PTK team. They are the best and I love each of them so much! We are such an amazing group of people that even waking up early on Saturday morning to go scrape paint off a building when I am sick makes me happy if I do it with them. So, I must say, I had fun.

Two pictures of me scraping :)
And that's me painting
At least until the effect of my medicine was over! Then it was like hell!!! Wow, my ears felt plugged, my nose felt clogged and my eyes were like sponges full of water… heavy and swollen. Around 12:30p.m. I started feeling cold although it was definitely pretty warm outside… So I decided it would be best for me to go home and get some rest.
My friends at work :)










I spent most of the afternoon in bed, only to wake up to the voice of my Math book calling me from the desk nearby. You know, until last semester I definitely owned the book. I remember going to buy it at the bookstore and from that moment I owned it. This semester we spend so much time together, the Math book and I, that our relationship got on a whole other level… I feel like it’s the book who owns my life! :) That is what happens when you are trying to get an A in MATH 160, but that’s a story for another day. The good news is I woke up feeling pretty well on Sunday morning. All that rest and the green tea have worked, after all!
Now I am ready for a new, engaging week!


A presto,

- Fede


No comments:

Post a Comment